Monday, August 4, 2014

Hang On To Your T-shirt Before I Recycle It Right Off Your Back!

I've created my own monster.  I watched a video about how to cut t-shirts to recycle them into "yarn" for crocheting projects and I can't be stopped.

I cut up a few shirts and made a rug for my etsy and thought that was the end of it. I explained how to do it here.

But I've been eyeing every t-shirt in the house lately and somehow, I managed to come  up with enough this week to make this.

The bottom is from two "ladies style" t-shirts from when I did promotions.  These are supposed to be 100% cotton, but when I cut them, they didn't do the nice curling maneuver that the other t-shirts did, so I didn't think it would work.  I actually like the way it crocheted better than the other "yarn"!
I was also surprised that small shirts worked as well as I wanted them to.  In my tutorial, I said I wouldn't bother with any shirts that were smaller than XL, but they were ladies S and I got a lot more out of them than I expected.

I've put it on my etsy for sale, but I think I have to make one for myself.  The storage possibilities are endless and because the t-shirts make a thicker "yarn" than actual yarn, this basket actually holds its shape and stands up  more like a basket.

 I love the handles!
When I filled this one with yarn, I had a flash of pure insanity.  Since I know I will teach crocheting class again during our enrichment period this year, I thought maybe I should make each girl a basket of her own so she can keep her yarn and hook in there and we can put them on shelves instead of throwing them in plastic bags in a bucket like we did last year.

And then I came to grips with that reality and decided I'll keep my ideas to myself and not make 25 baskets before September.  Can you imagine THAT insanity?

And I know what you're thinking:  have them make their own.  Maybe 2 of them could do that at the beginning because they have a grandmother who already taught them.  For most, it took the entire year to be comfortable with holding the hook and yarn and complete their way around a granny square without help.  They're only 9-11 years old and most have never handled yarn crafts before.

Those first few weeks- oh I don't relish starting that again next  month.  Hooks falling, girls crying, work being ripped out over and over and being asked 456,000 times in 50 minutes:  now which hole do I go into?

Umm, try the one over there behind the bookcase that teleports your into another universe- oh sorry, I digress.

Anyway, I swear this basket is my last t-shirt upcycle for a while.

But then there's this...


Linking here:
http://www.sewcando.com/2014/08/come-join-craftastic-monday-link-party.html
http://www.skiptomylou.org/2014/08/04/made-by-you-monday-215/
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/08/clever-chicks-blog-hop-98-with-two.html
http://www.flamingotoes.com/2014/08/think-pink-sunday-176/
http://sewmanyways.blogspot.com
http://www.thesitsgirls.com/diy/instagram-craft-photo-notebook/

3 comments:

  1. Ok, now that is pretty impressive!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! I would love a tutorial when you get back to this type of thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! This looks great and is useful as well. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love summer. I reply to all comments except those ridiculous anonymous comments offering me dirty deeds and real estate. When you leave your comment, please make sure your own settings will allow me to reply to you. Nothing makes me sadder than replying to your comments and then realizing it’s going to the no-reply@blogger address!