Sunday, June 24, 2012

Schooooool's Out, For. Ever

Ok, maybe not forever.  But that was the song we played for Music in the Morning on June 22nd. 

What is Music in the Morning, you ask?  It's a pretty neat program developed by our local symphony.  Basically, all manner of classical music played throughout the school year and research shows that over time, this 5 minutes of music plus a little info about it makes everyone smarter.  I have no objections because I like music and I enjoyed about 96% of the selections. 

Clearly, that song is not classical, but our "maestro" felt it would be fitting to take matters into his own hands.

What were we doing at school on June 22nd, you ask?  Why, finishing school, of course!   Late, you say?  Psssshhhhht.  That's nothing.  One year, it was June 30th.  No.  Lie.

I am not one who usually counts the days until vacations, holidays and the end of school.  Life passes fast enough.  The last thing I want to do is count away even more days wishing for something better. 

However, this year was a little more trying with one particular grade than ever before.  I'm not going into great detail here because I've done that time and again throughout the year.  Suffice it to say, the phrase "good riddance" has never been so appropriate for a group of my students. 

We also had some administrative changes that changed the building in a good way, but in a very challenging way that caused me no end of feeling frantic.  All.  Year.  Long.

So, when June rolled around, I was more than done with school.  I wasn't counting the days, but I was getting excited that school was almost out. 

This past week, I could hardly contain myself.   Especially when the heat wave came on Wednesday and just about killed me.  Packing up a room in 90 degree weather , with no AC is pretty much the definition of torture.

A lot of the mothers whose blogs I read are, shall we say, a little sad that school is out and that now they have to entertain their kids 24/7. 

I will think of parents with glee as I spend the next two months lesson plan free.  Parent phone call free.  Rude teenager free.  I will think of them as their surly preteens treat them the way they treat us 6.5 hours per day. 

Ah, bliss.  I will think of you all fondly as I sip mint juleps in my hammock.

2 comments:

  1. Happy school being out and have a mint julep for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! You deserve your two months off!!! Yahooooooo!

    After one particular little boy in my daughter's class gave her teacher a run for her money this past school year ... well, let's just say I hope that teacher is having her own mint julep right now. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love summer. I reply to all comments except those ridiculous anonymous comments offering me dirty deeds and real estate. When you leave your comment, please make sure your own settings will allow me to reply to you. Nothing makes me sadder than replying to your comments and then realizing it’s going to the no-reply@blogger address!