Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Americans Are So International And Cultured

On the train to my sister's this week, I tried to avoid contact with strangers who seemed way too eager to chat. For a long time, I had a seat to myself across from a couple from Massachusetts.

How do I know where they were from? Because as you can guess, my ride in peace did not last the entire way and I learned a lot about them. Not because I was talking to them, but because chatty Cathy sat next to me and gave away all the state secrets, the Davinci code and revealed who killed J.R.

One of the facts that I was forced to learn is that the entire family, 11 of them, was going to visit DC for a week. These were the grandparents. They were really excited. And they didn't really bother me. It was only chatty Cathy who bothered me. Until this conversation took place. Then I knew if I didn't get off that train at the next stop, someone was going to get locked out between the cars.

Couple: yeah, we're real excited about this trip. We've never been to DC before.

CHatty Cathy: oh you're gonna love it. DC is great where are you staying?

Couple: DuPont circle? Do you know it?

CC: Oh yeah, it's great there. Really quiet. Great area. You'll love it.

Couple: oh yeah? Great.

CC: gee, I wish I knew some restaurants offhand in that area but I don't.

Couple: well, that's ok,I am sure we will find something.

CC: yeah. ...

CC: yeah there's a lot of great stuff there. Let's see. DuPont circle. Oh yeah,that's where a lot of embasssies are...

Couple : OH YEAH WE ARE STAYING AT THE EMBASSY SUITES!!!!

Seriously. If my stop had not been the next one, I would have gotten off and walked. Nothing could have been more painful.

Linking up with Finding the Funny and Saturday Laughs and My Turn For Us

4 comments:

  1. So funny. I am also an avoid-talking-to-strangers-on-the-plane/train/bus type of person. Once in awhile, I'm in a friendly mood, but for the most part I really don't care to chit chat with overly friendly randoms who want to tell me their life story. Stopping by from the Top 5 Laughs blog hop!
    -Laura
    www.strollerparkingonly.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you have to be so careful not to say anything right away because if you do, that could be a VERY long trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha!!! I am totally one to sit by myself to avoid the akward situations. You are better than me- I probably would have totally avoided the conversation after awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! The Embassy Suites is so super fancy. There is something about me that invites people to tell me lots of stuff and then start crying. I'm like Barbara Walters or something. I've got to work on that.

    (Thanks for linking this up with us over at #findingthefunny last week!)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love summer. I reply to all comments except those ridiculous anonymous comments offering me dirty deeds and real estate. When you leave your comment, please make sure your own settings will allow me to reply to you. Nothing makes me sadder than replying to your comments and then realizing it’s going to the no-reply@blogger address!