Monday, May 7, 2012

Cuckoo For Cocoa Puffs

I'm getting concerned about the ornithological critters in my yard.  I think they are criminal masterminds and I'm thinking maybe I should be afraid.

Very afraid.

First, it was a visit from these guys.



They didn't do any damage, but they are a little off putting when there are so many of them.  But I was ok with them.

Then, the other day, crows did this and I was outraged.

That led me to create:


I put out new kale and thought maybe this would keep them off.  Old screens and a bamboo "roof".


I learned this trick from the town dump.  To keep seagulls from sitting on the trash all day, they strung filament across the trash area and not a single bird lands there.  At first, I was going to string this twine across the top but then realized I would have to duck to go in and they could just land elsewhere in the garden and walk over.  And then I realized if I strung it about a foot off the ground, it would inconvenience them enough but not me too much.

So far, so good.  I expect that once things are firmly rooted in a few weeks, I will be able to remove these.

And then this morning, I watched a chickadee pulling insulation out of a hole under the window.  It very methodically would pull out a piece and then lay it on the lilac bush.  Decorating it every so carefully.


See all the fuzzy little "decorations"? It was pretty fascinating to watch and I was amazed that it could get each piece to stay on the branch.  And another chickadee came over to watch and then fed the first one a seed.

I told k-ster that now he REALLY needs to do something about the hole so he put some super wide, strong tape over it.

I had no idea until I went outside, just how much insulation that bird had pulled out!  Look at all of that fiberglass laying under the bush!


The crows spend all day clacking and clucking just out of sight and I swear they are laughing.

And now I'm starting to think the peaceful "chick-a-dee-dee-dee" sound is an awful lot like the theme from psycho.....



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments almost as much as I love summer. I reply to all comments except those ridiculous anonymous comments offering me dirty deeds and real estate. When you leave your comment, please make sure your own settings will allow me to reply to you. Nothing makes me sadder than replying to your comments and then realizing it’s going to the no-reply@blogger address!