Monday, January 30, 2012

Keurig Made Me Cave


Do you have one of these marvelous money saving machines?  We bought one over a year ago because k-ster thought it might break him of the daily Dunkin Donuts habit.  I did a lot of mathematical research and determined that with all of the gift cards I  had for Bed, Bath and Beyond (thank you Discover card points!!) I could practically get the machine for free. 

You might notice we have a very snazzy version.  Or so k-ster says.  I couldn't care less.  It's digital and can be programmed to come on by itself.  And k-ster's favorite part?  It can make a 14oz beverage, which most of the Keurig models do not.  If only it could walk over to the sink and fill up its own water reservoir. 

He determined that he cannot make coffee at home to outdo Dunkin Donuts unless it is a) at least 14 ounces and b) in a styrofoam cup, complete with lid.

You may have read about my nature habits, so it should seem insanely bizarre that I condone the ordering of styrofoam cups and plastic lids for daily throwing away, but if it made him stop spending money at DD, then I was all for it.  I figure what I do to try to help the environment will offset what he does to ruin it.

I found super cheap cups, the exact model that k-ster required, for pennies each if we bought 1000.  And so, we bought 1000.  Seriously.  $25 for 1000 cups.  And then we bought like a million lids.

And k-ster has hardly had a DD coffee in all this time.  He actually prefers Tully's Kona over DD's burned tasting crapola.  Even though k-cups cost a fortune, I manage to get them as cheap as I can find them at Bed, Bath and Beyond.  They are the only place I can find Tully's Kona now that Tully's stopped making it.  I try to keep it to 50 cents per k-cup.

One of the drawbacks of having the Keurig is that now you have tons of plastic cups all over the place, either in the box they came in, or falling all over themselves.  Thankfully, someone decided to make a special drawer just for the Keurig and all of its accoutrements and I had to go and buy it.  See how neat and tidy it keeps everything?  I love that when you open the drawer, it doesn't stick and the whole thing doesn't slide around.  It was $24 at Bed, Bath and Beyond (surprise!), but I used my 20% coupon and saved a little.  They give those coupons out like candy, and I take every opportunity to save as much as I can at that store. 



By the way, the Khalua?  Not such a great coffee.  It smells like feet.

1 comment:

  1. I feel so much smarter now! We don't have one of these but it sounds like I should invest. I don't think I could handle that many cups. I would go insane!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love summer. I reply to all comments except those ridiculous anonymous comments offering me dirty deeds and real estate. When you leave your comment, please make sure your own settings will allow me to reply to you. Nothing makes me sadder than replying to your comments and then realizing it’s going to the no-reply@blogger address!