Monday, August 15, 2011

Just When I Thought I Was Safe

From reading and writing and 'rithmetic, it's time to back to school!!  Do you remember this commercial for back to school supplies?  It sure wasn't one of my favorites.  And they would start it like July 4th!

Ok, I don't have to go back to school yet, but everyone else in the blogosphere seems to need to tell us about their first days back, so I have to start thinking about it, a little bit.

And I'm trapped in the high school all week, at a team leader training, so the wheels are beginning to turn a little.  But we're all like caged animals.  As one person said "this is the first time I've been in the same place for 2 hours since June!"

My friend the confessor posted a list of things to say and not to say to teachers just before school starts.  Go check it out here. It's so very true.




I'd like to add a few of mine own to her list of things to stay away from when speaking to teachers.

Well, just two more weeks/1more day/6 more weeks/one more night.  

I know what the date is.  When you're on vacation, do you like it when people give you the countdown until you go back to work?

You're so lucky you get the summers off!  
Hmm, must be nice to have your summers off.
I bet you sure like your summers off!


Well, everyone has a choice in what they do with their lives.  Maybe you should have chosen to be a teacher if you think summers off is the best and only perk.  This is the #1 question I am asked.

Oh, do YOU work in the summer?(You must say this in the most disdainful way, making every teacher feel that they must defend any an all hours that they work or don't work.)

Does a teacher's brain ever rest?  Doesn't a teacher spend her entire life trying to figure out how this or that can work in her classroom/become a tool for education/serve as an example? Oh, is that just me?

When does school start?

You really shouldn't start asking that question on June 22nd.

But here's the BEST question I was ever asked.

So, what, do you like, collect unemployment for the summer?

Yep, that's what me and my teachers friends do all summer.  We can't get jobs because we stand around all morning in the unemployment line.  Holding our Starbucks coffee in one perfectly manicured hand while we balance our Coach bag on the other, trying not to fall out of our Blahniks.   (I can't even spell them because they are so out of my price range!)

C'mon all you teachers- what's the question people ask you over the summer that makes you want to beat them senseless?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments almost as much as I love summer. I reply to all comments except those ridiculous anonymous comments offering me dirty deeds and real estate. When you leave your comment, please make sure your own settings will allow me to reply to you. Nothing makes me sadder than replying to your comments and then realizing it’s going to the no-reply@blogger address!