Friday, July 15, 2011

Feel Good Friday- I Must Have Been Hungry


It's time once again to get together and share the feel good moments of the week.  This week, mine all revolve around food, which is shocking, because I'm not one to talk much about food.

Anyone can play, even if you've never done this before.  We like new people to post their favorite moments!


Ok, this part isn't about food. I DID NOT eat the deer in this picture. It was just so cool to see it and we had a staredown for several minutes. Its ears were sooooo big. I wish my camera had not had a full memory because I didn't have time or space to capture the true size of this deer.

What do you mean you can't see a deer?  It's right smack in the middle, looking right at you.  I promise.

On to the food.


*I made our favorite Thanksgiving Calzones for supper one night and they also provided two lunches, so I was thrilled.  I swear to God, you better go try making these this weekend.  You will think I am a true genius when you enjoy them.

Don't use American cheese.  It has nowhere near the desired effect.  I learned that this week.

*I made the best brownies I have ever made.  From a recipe I've used before.  I don't know what was different.  I just know that both of us commented on them each time we ate them.  They were chewy but not gooey.  Unreal.  I made them in the convection toaster oven.  Maybe that was the difference.

They were pure bliss, I tell you.  Sorry, they are long gone, so you don't get to try one.

*I made these zucchini boats for supper one night.  THEY WERE AWESOME.

What do you mean you don't see any boats?

I was too lazy to be all fancy and cut the zucchini lengthwise and scoop them out and stuff them.  Plus, I find that there's always way too much stuffing for the amount of vegetables I am trying to stuff.  So I just put it all in a dish.  This is like the stuffed QE2.

I consulted my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook for the proper cooking temp for stuffed vegetables, but I was on my own for the stuffing.  I used my garden zucchini and green beans, an onion, spicy Italian sausage (Nature's Promise from Stop and Shop), rice and feta.  I cannot tell you the quantities.

I precooked the sausage by boiling it and then cut it up.  I also precooked the rice.  The rest just got tossed into together, baked at whatever temp the recipe said and that was all she wrote.

I can't even tell you how much I used of anything.  Ok, yes, it was 5 sausages, one medium zucchini and then some of the rest of the ingredients.

K-ster was mightily impressed.

*I made a peach cobbler that is good but isn't what I was craving.  I am a fan of the way the bottom crust of peach cobbler and apple pie get.  It's sort of this gooey thing that is so good and sweet.  I didn't achieve that with this peach cobbler.  I might not have had enough dough and I might have rolled it too thin.  It was good, but not rave worthy by k-ster.

*I pulled out all the stops when I threw together some burgers last night.  I found a recipe a while back that called turkey burgers "greek" style because they had you put in some feta.  I didn't have any more feta after the zucchini boats, so I made up my "italian" version.  O.M.G.  You may steal this recipe and insert some earplugs as the deafening applause follows.  I wish I had taken some pictures, but we were starving.

ground turkey
fresh basil (I had snapped off 4 clumps, if that means anything to you)
grated parmesan cheese
garlic powder (NOT garlic salt!!)
Emeril's Original Essence (which is onion powder, salt, paprika, black pepper, garlic and "spices")

Mix them up, make patties and grill those babies.  To top it off, I put a little plain, greek yogurt on mine because I love the way it tastes.  I didn't have hamburger buns.  We ate them with boiled corn on the cob.

And I love how I'm so ethnic with my italian burgers, greek yogurt and american taste buds.

I am a stickler for rules, but I cannot tell you the quantities of anything I used in these.  I just threw it all together.  And they were so FRIGGIN good. I wonder how much the Emeril's spice made a difference.  I would like not to use it in the future and see what happens.

Ok, so now go write your own Feel Good Friday post and then come back and link up.  Grab the button up top and paste it into your post.  You certainly don't have to write about food.

And I'll leave you with a cute picture.  No, I did not eat my cat.  We have a firepit that has spent more time with water in it than fire this summer.  It's rusty water.  For some reason, Gwenstopher can't stay away from it.  It's her first stop when she gets out there.  She looks like such a wild animal, with her shoulders hunched like that.

The other night she did it, and stealthily got her whole body up there and had a good drink.  I was amazed at the grace she had to get up there.

Oh, and don't forget to get over to my other site and enter to win a necklace!!

2 comments:

  1. Yummm! You totally had a tasty week! I have been wanting to make stuffed zucchini. Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is a cartoon of a deer that you photoshopped in. It looks like it's wearing goggles. LOL But I do believe that you really do think you saw a deer, dear.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love summer. I reply to all comments except those ridiculous anonymous comments offering me dirty deeds and real estate. When you leave your comment, please make sure your own settings will allow me to reply to you. Nothing makes me sadder than replying to your comments and then realizing it’s going to the no-reply@blogger address!