Monday, April 25, 2011

Did Your Senior Pictures Look Like These?





When I went to college in the south, I learned that different parts of the country have different traditions when it comes to senior pictures.  And prom dresses.  But this post isn't about prom dresses because I would have to scan those pictures and I'm lazy.

What I learned about senior pictures is that in some places, everyone had the same "drape" over them and all of the girls wore pearls.  That was a classy look and some of those weren't even private schools.  It sure would have eliminated some of the atrocities we had in our yearbook.

Here, where I live, it's really common to take your picture at the beach.  Senior pictures, wedding pictures, family pictures- I dislike these family pictures the most.  Everyone wears the exact same clothes, usually white shirts and khaki. They all sit and/or stand in front of a dune.  Often you don't even see water.   Ewwww.  Or, a new trend, everyone except ONE PERSON wears the same thing and then that other person wears something totally different.

In reality, beach pictures aren't all that flattering for the majority of skin tones.  ***When I say pictures at the beach, I do mean in nice clothes, not bikinis.  Those would be SOME kind of senior pictures, wouldn't they????***

I remember lots of people in  my senior class having the typical, preppy beach picture.  They wore white, which just washed them out.  Or they laid down on the sand, which was weird in a sweater.  Or, in some cases, the boys wore light aqua (I am not kidding) sweaters.  I chose not to do the beach thing.  Not consciously, probably more financially.  And  today, I'm glad for that.

My senior pictures were done by a weird man in a studio.  I was alone.  I don't know what we were thinking.  On my way there, I had a little fender bender, so I was a little shaken.  We did 2 types of shots.  One outside, one inside.  "outside" was just outside his door, in the "woods" which was really next to one tree.  The other was inside his studio with a bizarre background.  No, not lasers in the background as was quite popular back then.  THANK GOD.  Kind of like an impressionist type background.  I wore a dress that sort of blended in with it.  It was all kind of like kismet.  My hair did this amazing thing (I call it straight) which is shocking because it was summer and humid.  He said nice things, like I should be a model (which I now know meant "can I take naked pictures of you?") and all in all, I liked the indoor scene and that's what I chose.  I'm still glad about that decision.  Even if you aren't.  P.S.  I took a picture of this picture, thus the flash glare and color issue with my dress.

But the reason I am writing this post?  Besides taking a trip down memory lane?  Is because last weekend, k-ster and I went out for a walk in the woods, as I explained here.  You'd think we had done something big for the big deal I made of it.

For some reason, we came upon this rock and I told k-ster to sit on it while I took his picture.  And now all I can think is that it looks like a senior picture.  Except, a professional photographer probably would have told him to take the bush out of his crotch.  I'm so unprofessional.


He, on the other hand, took this picture of me because we were pretty fascinated with this tree.  And I was fascinated that the opening was big enough for me to stand in without banging my head.  There were some other weird pictures where it looked like I was floating in between them and were otherwise just very unflattering.

This would NOT have been a good senior picture.  But someone in my yearbook would have taken a picture just like this and thought it was the best thing ever. 

So, the point of my story is that I need you to go post your senior picture on your site and tell us about it so we can go see it.  We need to see what was "cool" in your day.  Go do it!! It'll be fun, I promise!!
 Finding the Funny

11 comments:

  1. Hahaha, those are great!! Yes, I know what you mean about the stereotypical beach pictures. My senior picture is buried in a box somewhere several states away so I won't be posting mine :) Sure enjoyed yours though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm lazy too--I'd have to find the pictures and then scan them--they were taken 20 years ago. We live a long way from the beach,but everyone had the obligatory outside in the park in the fall picture. And the hair was big--think late 80s big.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "take the bush out of your crotch k-ster"

    heeee

    That had me laughing a little too loudly


    that is all

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had the drape - a choice of 2 or 3 colors. The boys had to wear a hideous blue tux jacket with a ruffled blue shirt and ginormous tie. And, no, I didn't go to high school in the 70's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't begin to know where my senior picture is. I believe in one I was reading a book.

    But you'd be shocked or horrified (I kind of hope) by the sheer number of dudes who posed with freshly killed deer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can totally track down my senior pic, but it'll take me a bit to concoct a post to go with it.
    As for k-ster...he's cuuuuuuute!! And no, the foliage in his crotch is charming! teehee

    ReplyDelete
  7. That tree is cool. I probably would have taken a picture with it too. You were a cute senior. Glad you weren't axed murdered by the crazy photographer or something. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the pictures you added from more recently. My hair would have been all frizz in the humid summer weather.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a creepy experience! I'm sorry digging these photos out brought back some not-so-fond memories!

    Thank you, though, for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You scared me about the weird man taking your picture, but then made me smile with those trees! How cool is that? (Love your hair do AND I love that you linked up with #findingthefunny!)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love summer. I reply to all comments except those ridiculous anonymous comments offering me dirty deeds and real estate. When you leave your comment, please make sure your own settings will allow me to reply to you. Nothing makes me sadder than replying to your comments and then realizing it’s going to the no-reply@blogger address!