Sunday, December 26, 2010

12 Days of Christmas

I hope you had a nice Christmas.  I had a technology free holiday, so I have no idea what took place in the blogosphere yesterday.  We had Christmas morning with k-ster's mother and b-ster and then went to my parents' for the rest of the day and evening.  Both of my sisters were there and my BIL and d-ster.  D-ster arrived on the scene a little late, so he missed a lot of the craziness that is Christmas at the w-ster's.

Somewhere along the line, a long time ago, we started opening presents, just one at a time.  I don't know if someone named sparkling demanded  suggested this, or if it just happened, but it has become a tradition.  This way, everyone can see what everyone gets.  This also allows for the giver to do some explaining about the gift.  It seems that we w-girls feel the need to do a lot of explaining about the gifts we give.  I don't know when this tradition started either.  Slow opening is fun and takes all day, so whether there are 1 or 101 presents, it doesn't matter because it's not over in 5 minutes. And it allows for commentary from the boys who have now come to witness and marvel at what is Christmas with the w-girls.  The first time k-ster attended for more than an hour, he was asked to be Santa and he thought that would be fun.  Not a lot of presents for him, so why not spend his time passing them out to everyone so he doesn't just sit there.  Apparently this is not as fun as it sounds and we w-girls can be demanding about when to give whom which presents, so he has warned d-ster and s-ster to never ask or allow someone to suggest that he be Santa.  I have no idea what he is talking about.  I am usually Santa.  This comes from my place in the living room, I guess.  And I like it.  Imagine that, a teacher who likes to be in control.  Hmmm.  I've heard tales of people who all open every present at once and it becomes mayhem and screaming and no one is clear about who gave which presents and things get stepped on and I don't like that.  My mother doesn't care for confusion either, so that would never work for us.

I will share a picture of something that I got each day for 12 days, so you can get a taste of who I am.  After taking the pictures, I thought about how really, this is a great way to get to know someone.  If I really knew what I was doing, I'd create a linky thingy and everyone could link to my thingy and share their 12 days too.  But I have no idea what I'm doing.  So, you can email me a picture each day too and let me know a little about you.  Or maybe you can jump on board on your blog and link to mine and tell me in the comments and then I'll go snoop and see what you go too.

So, here is gift #1.  I call this one THE MOST UNUSUAL BUT SATISFYING GIFT THIS YEAR.  I know.  You are seriously questioning the sanity of continuing to read my blog because I keep posting pictures of poultry.  And who in their right mind would get excited about eggs and an uncooked bird for Christmas??  You might remember in my Thanksgiving Hoopla post I mentioned that we had a fresh turkey from the down the road from a-ster's house.  And I might have said when we went to the little farm stand, which really was a nice store, I bought some eggs to bring home.  So when I got home, I suggested that she might like to freeze a chicken from there and bring it up, with some eggs, as a Christmas present.  And she did.  So, I am thrilled to have an organic bird, whose farm I have seen.  And some eggs from the same place.  I know this bird did not lay these eggs because the bird was put to rest in the fall and a-ster has had it freezing since then.  I know, this means I took her last chicken.  But, she has a duck and another turkey, so they'll make it through for a little longer.  And then there will be more chickens available, Lord willing... wait, are they PIONEERS??  

And you're really asking, which came first, the chicken or the eggs?  When I opened the cooler, the eggs were first because they were on top.  And I could take that out and show people.  I really didn't want to take out a raw bird in the living room on Christmas, because THAT would be weird.

Come back tomorrow when I will share gift #2, THE NO-BRAINER GIFT I KNEW I'D GET, AND THEN SOME, AND THEN SOME MORE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments almost as much as I love summer. I reply to all comments except those ridiculous anonymous comments offering me dirty deeds and real estate. When you leave your comment, please make sure your own settings will allow me to reply to you. Nothing makes me sadder than replying to your comments and then realizing it’s going to the no-reply@blogger address!